Saturday, July 4, 2015

sr20 crates

This is what two unassembled international shipping crates in your entrance way look like.



Assembled dimensions are 1 meter cubed inner dimension, with the ability to be lifted by a fork truck and be stacked, and every piece of which stamped for customs approval.

It took me a few trips, but step one was to move all the pieces from the small hallway in front of my flat to outside, the location of many recent adventures.




Two crates, some assembly required.


I thought there was going to be an issue as the extended legs of the hoist and the pallet bottoms were not cooperating as well as I would have liked.

After a little maneuvering, I was able to get the engine over the corner of the pallet and rotate it from there.









Next was to separate the transmission from the motor.



Of course while removing the transmission bolts you have to ride it at least once, that and I was tired of standing.










Once all the hardware was removed, I pulled the transmission off the back as both rested on the pallet with the aide of the monster jack. As it turns out I have an uprated ACT clutch on this motor. I don't remember if I knew that from purchase, but it's always nice surprise to confirm and know it's there. It's one of the things you simply can't verify completely when you buy a car, at least not without a lot of effort.


Before removing the transmission entirely, one must disconnect the lower wiring harness.












I'm sure there was a plug up the stream somewhere, and in a similar fashion to the coils, I ended up just disconnecting the plugs on the transmission side, but at least this time I left the sub-harness connected to the main harness instead of being found mysteriously in another box a month later.





As you can see, I used some of the wood in order to support the transmission below it's bell housing and mount.

I then started assembling the sides to the pallet. The design of these crates impressed me. They were very easy to put together. The sides attached to the sides of the pallet above the large wooden pieces which offset the pallet from the ground. The sides were then attached together one by one. Each side was designed for a specific side, or pair of sides to be completely accurate.

Dan The Box told me to simply hammer the screws in and they would hold very well. this saved a lot of time as there were many, many screws, none of which had pilot holes.





While assembling the sides I added more cross bracing to keep shifting to a minimum on her long journey ahead.



I laid the top on to temporarily seal it from the elements until the rest of the household goods could be loaded. I'm still very impressed at how well this went together.



One crate down, one to go.

I'm trending. Possibly with one point, but all the previous steps came in pairs as well, leading me here, so I don't feel ashamed counting all of them at least once.


And not that I would enjoy it much longer, but my entranceway was starting to look much more presentable.



No comments:

Post a Comment