Saturday, July 4, 2015

hoist failure

Unfortunately, the hoist would still need to be used to position the motors in crates so I had to at least limp it along for the next week.

You're not done yet.










This seemed to be an odd way to fail, but I believe a bolt may have worked its way out during use, or just enough to be dislodged by the rough surface it was attempting to roll on with said heavy loads. I'll be the first to admit, maybe one of the nuts wasn't tight enough for it's intended application. Once this happened the caster got stuck and literally peeled away from the hoist.

In order to attempt to flatten it again I simply bolted it back into it's original positions with an increasing number of bolts and torque until it could at least support weight and move around a bit.





Obviously the bearing doesn't turn very well with a bowed base, but I was back in business.



No comments:

Post a Comment