Monday, June 3, 2013

throttle body 1: un-install, disassy, insp/check

I don't really know where to start with this one, soo shots!



No photos of actual shots. But there's a few of the z outside.







Note, the start of all this was due to lack of power during boost. And when I say lack of power during boost, I mean she would completely fall flat as if the air/fuel mix was completely off or a fuel cut was inadvertently run over. It wasn't rpm dependent more-so than boost. I could sneak up on it and gradually force her into boost but she would sputter and it simply didn't seem healthy. Either way, up until this point I had been driving around without boosting and blatantly lost at least one completely unprovoked race. Not saying any names.  HAYDN.

Fuel pressure was at 28 while idling which seemed low for fuel injection but I didn't think too much of it at the time as it was running fine at idle and daily driving out of boost. I couldn't remember if it had been higher than that after tuning. Idle was around 880-900 depending on adjustment. If I adjusted it lower than that the car would go into a loop and the idle would be ... lobey ... between 7oo and 12oo or so, and I would have to rev it a bit to 15ooish for it to level out. Again, she would drive fine out of boost, and with the idle on the moderately high side you would not notice there were underlying issues. That's a lie. A boosted car that can't boost. There were several things that obviously needed to be addressed as soon as possible.

As a warning, this is going to be a long one, multiple entries in fact over one extremely long weekend last fall. And before I forget, another issue I was looking to overcome was the throttle getting stuck. Don't look at me that way. It would act like the butterfly was simply sticky when cruising, and with a blip of the throttle when decelerating would easily free it. Again, I had a list <see above>.








I started with the maf. I've had trouble with it before, and there were several items on the above list that included the throttle body or air/fuel mixture questions, so it would have to come out for one reason or another. If I had remembered more specifically the issues I had when the motor was in the 28o some of this process may have been avoided, but probably not much of it, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.





Yes, you're going to see some repetitive pictures as I am out of patience with photo organizational and editing issues.

I found some frayed wires leading directly to the maf. A bad connection here could easily lead to an inconsistent air/fuel mix inside a piston cylinder or two later.





Remove the maf, pull the piping out of the way, and uninstall the throttle body. I'm happy I took the time previously to change out the bolts to allen head. They are a must with my installation, as a standard hex head would be next to impossible to remove, at least for the lower, outer fitting. I had to remove the plenum just to remove the throttle body when she was finally returned, refer to previous entry. I don't want to talk about it. Simply put, another reason I'm starting here is because this is one of the major areas that was worked on by the lovely staff at tdc auto.

Close-ups of the maf wires and insulation, or lack thereof.




RTV overflow. So much so, that it may be interfering with the butterfly operation. The entire thing could do with a good cleaning, and not as much RTV next time.







It took some time, but lightly sanded down most of the rtv excess on the mounting face out in the garage.







Back inside. Took lots of pictures of the condition before disassembly-01.










Removed the tps.


Removed the butterfly. The butterfly is directional by the way, which I would frustratingly find out much later.



Removed the tps mounting ring. The tps adapter input faces 9o* to the butterfly angle. This goes around the shaft which has a flat inline with the actual butterfly face. I'll show more of this during assembly.



I turned to the other side and removed the throttle cable wheel, shaft, and spring.













With the amount of corrosion, goop, and simple buildup in and around the butterfly shaft and all fits, I'm honestly surprised the butterfly moved at all. I have a feeling top dead center, now known as heads up motorsports of spartanburg south carolina, sold me a used throttle body, but that's just me. Good thing I didn't pay what they were trying to extort. Add it to the list ...

No comments:

Post a Comment