Sunday, June 2, 2013

radio?

I haven't had any spares lately to do anything, let alone blogs. In a rare down time, the french open is playing in the background and here I am. Not that I am that into tennis itself, but it seems to work on the other side of my apple during said lay in, and for the first time is live in the correct timezone.

I'm currently trying to figure out what pictures I've imported, edited, uploaded, and/or actually blogged about, all of which are in various folders of events and dates or titles. This is silly, I obviously need a better organizational system.

Any ideas? Please help.

Back to the s13. It came with a hole where a radio should be. I guess the previous owner had a nice head unit, or at the very least another car with a similar hole that he wanted to fill without spending more money.



No, I wasn't driving in this manor, but I pulled out all the wires that were present in the vicinity and realized the previous owner had been kind enough to leave the required plugs I would need. All I had to buy was the actual head unit.

 
Now I don't have much experience with audios, but here we go. I went to my local Halford's and picked up the bottom of the range kit with the features I wanted. It has Bluetooth, usb and line in, including cd/mp3, and of course, radio. I think the previous owner had built in mic's installed in the car as well. I'll have to get a better picture of it but you can see what I think are mic's for Bluetooth phone useage above the passenger and driver headliner. And by better picture I mean a picture. <insert here>.


Bam. Found her. My lack of organizational strength is second only to my brute-force tenacity.

These are not hooked up yet unless they are magically wired into the harness that I plugged into the back of the new head unit. I have not tested the Bluetooth phone capability and have opted to just not talk to anyone outside of the car while driving. It's safer. In theory, along with being able to play FM stations, the radio also came with built in mic's and decent wattage. I'll review later.





I think the red, yellow, and black wires that aren't connected to anything (previously, and currently) have something to do with the microphones. I connected the main head unit plug and the antenna. It came with a new antenna plug (read not the main plug, which is car specific and another 30GBP if the previous owner hadn't left it in said car, thank you again). If I recall correctly, I simply reused the previous plugs, but I may have changed it out for the new fitting, either way I have all the spares it came with in the nice faceplate case in the glove box.



I had to buy a few screws to mount the din to the frame, and one interfered with the face plate retraction, but after a few in's and out's the s13 has audio! Going into this I wasn't exactly sure how the radio would mount and if I needed one of the many kits they sell. No, just had to remove one of sleeves it came with and bolt her in, all while trying to not get wet in the rainy Halford's parking lot and meeting a fellow s13 owner. Imagine that - two of the only s13 owners in the area meeting at an auto parts store.

No comments:

Post a Comment