Sunday, July 1, 2012

smoke and coolant

As seen previously, the condition of the intake gasket left something to be desired after TDC Auto's install. Although KK's repair job was amazing and worth the effort, but maybe not the pain of hammering one's thumb, it sadly didn't work.

After spending a day and a half wiring, the engine started first crank. The exhaust was not build yet, the downpipe fitted but open, none of the hydraulics even poured, and as will also be seen later, the new throttle body and its sensor were set completely in the wrong direction.

This was right around the time I got an iPhone, which takes great pictures I might add, but in the process I seemed to have misplaced a few days of photos. I don't know if they're on the camera I can't access, or my old phone I can't find. Either way I will make a post of this replacement later, but essentially I had to do what I dreaded after the car came back from TDC. I pulled the intake plenum while the engine was in the car. 




This was a very involved process which included buying bear claw wrench tops in order to remove the rear most nut on the plenum near the firewall. I had to get several extensions including one with a curved input adapter which enabled it to angle a few degrees. This combined with a fully jointed connection and an allen head socket of the correct size were all required.


I cleaned the intake plenum and head just to make sure, running the car a few times. It was also pouring smoke out of the downpipe. Before pulling everything apart I tightened the bolts around the area which was leaking to no avail. This reduced the leaking coolant on the head webbing, but not completely, and the coolant burning smoke did not dissipate. It was pretty frustrating to have to remove the intake piping connections, drain the radiator and remove the upper hose, not to mention the plenum itself, all while the engine was installed. There were enough other reasons that pulling the engine last time was still warranted, but still.


As it turned out, I also had to remove the throttle body in order to allow the plenum to clear the two studs in order to slip the gasket in. With the TB bolted to the plenum, the welded intake pipe hit the side of the engine bay a mite too early. Again, look for this coming up in detail. It was extra work added to extra work, but at least I was physically able to remove the throttle body since changing out its hex bolts with allen bolts when the engine was out of the car. Without a doubt, I would have had to remove the engine and transmission mounts, lower and angle the motorset, just to get access to the old style bolts that the shop put on the throttle body to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment