Sunday, July 15, 2012

blankets

In an attempt to keep down the heat in the new engine bay, I decided to man up and get a real turbine blanket. This is the t3 titanium blanket and associated kit from dei. I may use the header wrap that it came with to wrap the intake tubes eventually.





Looks just as good out of the box as the exhaust wrap, presumably sized specifically for my turbo.

Took some shots of the turbine itself as hopefully this is the last I'll be seeing it. This wasn't to be the case, but at the time it sounded like a good plan.





There's a half inch adapter plate reducing the t4 flange to the t3 turbine. When installed in the 28o this raised the turbo, causing the compressor to hit the bottom of the hood. In the 24o this wasn't this case because the engine was mounted significantly lower.

You can also see the five bolt adapter to 3" vband flange that is attached between the turbine and the downpipe. This turned out to be an issue with the t3 blanket. Even though the blanket was sized for the turbine, it wasn't for the flange I had to use to for the downpipe.






I fit the blanket over the turbine and flanges and unwound the tie.


The tie down sprung out after untwisting it.



The blanket didn't exactly cover the bottom part of the flange on the downpipe side, but it looked great and fit VERY snugly.



I looped the tie in half, hooking the end around the blanket hook on the exhaust side. I then pulled it taut, around the center hook, and then under the turbo between the center section of the turbines to the compressor side hook. Once I pulled that taut, I brought it back around the other way and tucked it under.  



It's difficult to see, but the blanket tore without much pressure on the backside near one of the turbine bolts of the five bolt adapter flange. It was installed, but after paying about 15o$ for a blanket, I thought it was worth calling summit about.

They refunded it and took my order for the larger t4 size plus the difference, shipping it out before I even had this blanket off the car and boxed. Summit is great.




I also realized that the ties under the downpipe did not follow the same path, and one went around the exhaust manifold adapter plate, catching it's corner. I un-looped it and re-attached it but that did nothing for the tear. As I said though, summit's customer service is second to none.



No comments:

Post a Comment