Wednesday, July 17, 2013

tools

As well as leaving my garage equipment behind, all my hand tools are far, far away. To be fair, I didn't have the greatest tool set to begin with, but it was something. I had a Craftsman set of metric 1/2", along with a soft travel kit of 1/4" and 3/8" short and deep, overlapping somewhere short of a full set each. Kits of multiple drives usually have a smaller number of sockets of each, covering the entire range as a kit as a whole. My travel kit also included standard sets, which I removed and replaced with extra singles that I commandeered from other kits. It didn't look good, but did the job.

I wanted a decent full set of spanners and sockets of each drive. I was tired of missing the one I needed, or hunting through a pile of sockets at the bottom of a soft case, or having to stop just to organize.



I was looking on craigs in Europe, and it doesn't seem the Brits have caught on. Only a few large cities were even actively used, let alone had tools for sale. Of what I was able to find, most were out of range to ship or even pickup.  I searched amazon and found several sets but they were relatively expensive. After talking to some of the floor guys at work and reading some opinions online, I began to search Halfords. They have a professional line that had great reviews and a lifetime warranty. Although it's branded from the local autoparts store, I was willing to check them out.

As it turns out, not only did they look to do the job, all advanced professional kits were on sale, 5o% off, until tomorrow. They actually extended the sale, but still, well worth the half price. There was a 17o piece boxed set including all three drive sizes and varying overlapping sockets, each somewhere short of a normal deck. I opted to spend a little more and buy the largest full sets of each size separately, getting the full range of sockets of that size, all while not wasting pounds on the bits in group sets nobody wants. I also liked having smaller boxes rather than a huge immobile case.

I still may go back and get another set which does overlap 1/4 and 3/8, but includes the 72 tooth ratchets of both, normally 3oGBP each. These fine tooth ratchets are not on sale <read half off, they are for sale> individually, but the kit that contains them is still 5o% off, making the full set the same price as that of just those 2 included tools, the other 62 pieces and case completely free.

6 sets in... <again, that sounds bad, but remember, 5o % off>







Another side note, all of these sets are <edit, almost> fully metric, no wasted costs for SAE, or extra weight to carry around, or the eyesore of tools I'll never use, or empty clipped holes that don't exactly fit and extra metric set.



The set of 12 combination spanners have ratcheting box ends, 5 degree movement, and every size between 8 and 19.






Full 1/4" set, no frills, deep and standard with short and long extensions, uj, and locking ratchet. I really dig the case, no slip rough exterior, clip-in socket wells, compact, simple, and of course the right color.










Full 3/8" set, similar as the previous rugged box and layout, mostly standard depth, but usable range of deep, one small extension, and locking ratchet.






The first set of 3/8" was only 2oGBP at half price. Being less than most dinners in this town, I decided it was worth it just to have, even though I was planning on the more complete second set of 3/8" above. This includes more extensions, uj, and deep sockets, along with another set of standard depths and locking ratchet. Amazingly, the case is a bit more stout with carry handle and metal closures, but matches the previous two in design and apparent durability. The first set of 3/8" matched the 1/4" set in size and seemingly went together as a pair. One can never have enough tools.






Although the case of punch through screw drivers was slightly different, I didn't mind at all. Finally someone made a set of single piece screw drivers that are strong enough to be hammered. The ends have flats for using a spanner to aid in torque. I can't tell you how many times I've torn screwdrivers by clamping on with vice grips to apply additional perpendicular rotational force.











Finally, the set of 1/2" included 55 pieces, everything from several varying length wobble extensions and t-bars to a breaker bar, uj, adapter, and every standard depth socket you would ever need between 8 and 32mm. This was the only 1/2" drive set available not including other drive sizes, the box of which matching the second 3/8" set above, making it an easy choice. Did I mention it included a locking ratchet? This set was also comprised of a small number of SAE sockets, ranging up to 1".

I didn't lie, the truth changed.



No comments:

Post a Comment