Friday, June 15, 2012

windshield x3

I'm on par for a post a day and it's already half way through the month! As it turns out I'll be traveling again, but this time will be staying in one hotel with presumably stable internet. Hope no one is over saturated, but if I get the time I'll try to give you something to look forward to and upload new road pic's of the 24o z out in the wild.






In an effort to divide and conquer, this was KK's side project, at which she did a great job. She was in the side room preparing for the window installation when reinforcements arrived. Seth came bearing camera, photo light, and a much needed helping hand.

The reason why this is titled x3 even though I have not posted three entries about my windshield yet is because it took this many times to finally install it. As it turns out, the oem window seals are sealant-less gaskets, not requiring any semi-liquid sealers to top off the installation process. After a trip to the hardware store to get window goop in a caulking cylinder, we learned that this could be the case by a not-so-confident employee. I would have believed him if not for this lack of conviction, so we bought, and ended up returning, several bottles of goop and prep glue.

After getting the hint from the parts store guy, I decided to do some research online and found this to in fact be true. The OEM window seals to the gasket, and the gasket seals to the car via inner and outer lips in the gasket, all apparently without help.




The first attempt at installing the window happened shortly after KK managed to get the window into the gasket, and we simply dropped it in place. After moving it around a bit we thought there was no way it was going to fit, and after 2o mins of struggling, pulled the window back out, and the gasket off.

We then put the gasket on the car and tried to put the window into it.  This was even more of a disaster, and we were slowly losing Seth by the minute as he played with his camera, which is awesome if I haven't mentioned it before. Most of these shots were his, an obvious difference between my normal blog post photo's.







Finally we pulled it all out again, put the gasket back on the widow, and tried one more time. This time we pushed it enough into place and used small allen wrenches to pry the inner and outer lips of the gasket over the matched seams in the window channel on the car. This took a while, but we were finally able to fully install the window. I have no idea how a window repair man can come to your car and do this by himself. I know most new windows simply lay in with aforementioned window goop, and I'm sure there are special tools and tricks of the trade, but this needed all 3 of us pushing and pulling and prying the gasket into submission.

In an attempt to keep moving, I connected the blow off valve, wastegate, and boost controller vacuum lines. During one of the trips to the parts store that day I had the foresight to pick up an extra length of correctly sized vacuum hose. In reality I tried to connect the bov the day before and found with the previous disassembly of the lines, they magically shortened. Since I was getting a new bov line anyways, I cut it that much longer and re-routed it under the spark plug cover along side the wg lines. This grouped all the vacuum lines together in an attempt to hide and generally clean the engine bay.






All in all it took about 4 hours, and the next day a treat was much deserved. Thank you Seth and KK.


No comments:

Post a Comment