Saturday, June 23, 2012

future project

I was mildly disappointed to find that the sub axles had not been replaced in the 24o with the bigger, higher splinned count, 28o versions. Normally this wouldn't be the case when buying a shell that you were putting a driveline into, the disappointment, not the upgrade, but finding all the other upgrades to the 24o after purchase, not to mention the overall condition, my hopes were high.



Before mailing the strut casings to techno toy tuning as cores for someone else's cared for z, I removed the stub axles in case I wanted to use them later. Hopefully I won't need them anytime soon, knock on wood, but if I ever have trouble with the 24o z ones, or simply want to upgrade, I'll have them ready to go and not have to re-buy something I previously had.





It took some doing, but after removing a few nuts, hammering the back of the inner casing thru the outer, and prying the drum cover back from the same inner, the drum brake came apart. My first attempt included prying the dust cover back, which as it turned out was just a waste of time.





I pulled the press back out of the car and set it up to push the stub axles out of the bearings. It took an interesting setup involving a few thick blocks of wood and the standard press plates, but after some re-situating, the strut housing was balanced on the press, with enough space for the the 4 stud outer plate to clear when pressed.





The stub axle easily pressed out.



The stub axle seemed to be in great shape, still had grease on its entire length that wasn't even dirty or displaced.



On to the second.





I was able to remove the second drum brake housing much more easily, note the intact dust cover.





This stub axle, however, pushed out VERY easily. It was almost like the bearing wasn't set in the casing. The axle looked to be in the same good condition as the first, however. If I do reuse these they'll get new inner and outer bearings anyways.




Put the nuts and washers back on to protect the threads, not to mention keep track of the nuts, and cleanup, including disassembling of the press and re-loading it back into the trunk to return to Giffin. Many thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment