Monday, June 25, 2012

oil returns

When pulling the engine out of the 28o z over a year ago now, I somehow banged the lower fitting on the steering shaft and it broke. 35$ mistake. It is possible that the oil line actually ran around and below the steering shaft and I simply forgot to remove during the install, but that's neither here nor there.








I bought the line into the kitchen for further inspection. At some point I'm going to need to replace this cover, probably sooner rather than later, but with starting the engine impending (at the time), I simply fixed the fitting and re-installed.




New replacement. -1o an, 45* aeroquip socketless hose end, anodized black. Very similar to the fuel lines minus the disassembly, I placed the damaged fitting into the -an jaws and secured the vice.




Ouch.




This is why I bought the set of -an wrenches. 






The outside of the line was fairly corroded.







After cleaning it up it was ready to be installed into the new fitting, without any guide tools or re-cutting, or much blood for that matter.








Old v new fitting with different internal port style. The new aeroquip seemed to be a much better design for various reasons.



Slip, or push and yell and squeeze and shimmy, the stainless steel line into the new outer hose fitting making sure it fully seats on the inside.





Setup the line again in the vice/jaws on the kitchen counter, not forgetting to mark the line so that you can tell if it pushes out during installation.





For some odd reason the -1o an wrench fit over the -an side of the fitting, but not the inner line side. 




As it turns out, the -12 was too big. This was mildly frustrating as I don't remember -11 even being an option in any kit. Either way, I was VERY careful with an adjustable wrench. If you tighten it slowly it'll work just fine, just try to limit the amount of slip and the number of times you have to reset the wrench to avoid marking your recently purchased expensive fitting.





Final product.






More close ups of the old fitting and all the corrosion. I'm glad it broke.



Run downstairs and install, turbo side first.



The oil lines and fitting welded to a bung threaded for the rb block came with my manifold and downpipe set several years ago. Still fits great.




Someone remind me to disconnect the oil return line next time I have to pull the engine. Please.



No comments:

Post a Comment