Friday, June 1, 2012

speedo sensor

Sorry for the interruption in service, I'll get to that in a later entry, but it's been SUPER busy lately. I've moved, visited 2 other countries, and finished the z to the point that i can drive it around semi-legally. As usual I need to catch up to current state asap, so look out for a lot of posts this month.





As installed in the current position in the 24o z, the speedo sensor hits the passenger side oem transmission mount perfectly (hence the previous post for cutting relief windows). After installing the engine a few times though the wires had pulled and ripped themselves out of the base of the sensor and needed to be fixed.



I was forced to burn off the insulation of the 2 wire stubs that were left, partially due to the fact that I could not locate my wire strippers. Soldering is usually better than crimping when attaching wires together, but in this case I had to solder them because of how short they were. If this doesn't work I may be forced to "dig out" more wire from the inside of the sensor, or worst case buy another sensor.



Add flux to aid in solder bonding, and loop wire extensions around the stubie outputs from the sensor. One issue was that because the wires from the sensor were so short, the connection to the extensions was VERY close to the housing itself. In use, they may ground out.











I had to go buy a new soldering gun as well. I found several versions at the local auto parts store and ended up getting a basic stick style gun, not the one that's actually shaped like a gun. The other one looked too complicated and was about 2x the cost.




You can see how close the solder join is to the metal housing of the sensor itself. So close in fact that depending on which direction you twist the extension, it would touch. I carefully added several layers of electrical tape to the area to try to insulate the joints from the sensor, and themselves.




The final product looked pretty clean, but as would be discovered during installation, it was all for naught. Not to bring down the entire entry completely, I'll continue, but know that this is something I'll be re-doing along with the transmission mount openings the next time the engine/trans comes out.



I then soldered the extensions to the plug and clipped the harness of one plug onto the sensor. I know it would have looked a bit nicer with heat shrink wrapping the joints, but as usual electrical tape was available, again, not that it matters anyways.






Final product before installing in the transmission.




A few side shots of the engine hanging waiting to be re-installed. Still no glass in the z. I also had to re-connect the other sensors on the transmission as well. They all received a healthy beating from several installations while creating the mounts and needed to be re-attached. In this case I simply stripped the wires and soldered them onto the sensor plug leads. Again, finish off with a healthy dose of electrical tape and cover with the oem boot. Good as new.




Shots of all the transmission sensors installed and ready to go (or so I thought).








ENOUGH WITH THE SIDE COMMENTS, STOP THE BANTER, WHAT HAPPENED?!

Seriously, it was rough and I was fairly disappointed after all my work making the speedo sensor look nice and pretty. Because I cut the relief window above the bottom support of the transmission mount (for structural reasons), the sensor still had to pass the lower frame in order to "clear" into the window. While jacking the transmission into position after installing the motor set, the electrical tape cocoon peeled half way off. At this point the tape was still protecting the extension joints though so functionally it seemed to be doing it's job, but this wasn't going to be the case for very long.

As you can see by the position of the sensor forward to aft, the window needed to be extended about 1/2" towards the front of the car. On top of this, once the transmission was mounted and set on it's isolators, the sensor position dropped proportionately, coming to rest on the bottom of the relief window. I had to also remove the front half of the bottom frame in order for the sensor to clear. This was pretty difficult with the transmission installed, but it can be done. Have faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment