Friday, February 10, 2012

cover and paint

Assuming the current leak emanating from the driver side arm doesn't get worse, this will hopefully be the last differential post for a while. Part of the reasoning behind getting the new rear suspension, including the mustache bar, drop mounts, and dog bone xmember, was to allow the proper finned cover to be used. I haven't even driven the 24o z and yet I've pulled and replaced the differential twice. This is getting a bit excessive and I'm looking forward to actually driving it.



For lack of a better storage location, I simply flipped the covers from the LSD to the open differential for storage. This helped when removing the studs from the finned cover as the TTT mustache bar utilizes beefy bolts which may ease in install/removal while in the car in the future, not that I'm looking forward to anything but driving, but it's good to plan.




open r2oo differential rear cover:


limited slip r2oo differential cover: 


open  r2oo differential gears:


limited slip r2oo differential gears:




(2) of the (3) r2oo differentials I somehow ended up with, side by side.



Remove the oem rubber isolator, to be replaced.



The seemingly identical 280zx halfshafts. As it turns out one is ever so slightly longer, including the input shaft. From my research, and there isn't much, alteredz states the left one is shorter. Which side is the left side?! Is that looking at the differential from the front or rear, top or bottom? I assumed left meant driver side and pushed on. This may explain the slight leak on the driver side as it now sits installed, but maybe not. 





Seals on each side look similar, maybe that's why it's leaking a bit, even though there isn't currently any fluid inside which is only slightly perplexing.



This bee kept trying to sting the vice which was out ready to be used to aid in the rear wheel stud install to come.




Paint prep. I decided since it was out to put another coat of blue on it and touch up the areas that didn't get covered the first time over. This time the rear cover was off and I also pulled the halfshafts. Just remember to wipe off the bit of paint that gets blown under the diff and on the main gear.






Always follow required EHS procedures and wear the proper PPE.






Kudos to KK, who was in charge of cleaning in this en-devour, pre and post painting, differential, bolts, and finned cover. I take full credit for the use of q-tips, however, as they were also a great help with the bushing grease application for all the new bushings.











2 entries in one night?! I know you can hardly contain the excitement, but I did say I was trying to catch up, not to mention will myself into a final push.






No comments:

Post a Comment