Sunday, October 2, 2011

power retention

After the 280z was tuned in Atlanta to over 400 hp at the wheels, the clutch lasted for all of 1 run. Specifically, first gear of that run when the engine's level of awesome grew exponentially as compared to that of the clutch.




I then ordered a 4 puck sprung clutch from Competition Clutches in order to help retain, and in this case allow any, horsepower between engine and wheels. This resulted in a blown stock slave cylinder and the subsequent destruction of 2nd gear in an unbreakable rb25 transmission. I then worked out a deal for an rb25 neo transmission.

Note: rb25 neo transmissions come with pull-type clutches.

The exterior of the bellhousings and gearbox cases have more webbing structure on the neo's as well. Other than this, they are identical and fit perfectly, thank you Nissan. Instead of having to switch to a pull type clutch, of which there aren't many options out there, I decided to keep my recently purchased Competition clutch and swap the bellhousings which, with respect to the gearbox bolt pattern, length, and engine bolt pattern, were identical, thank you Nissan.



I reused the same clutch when installing the rb25 into the 240z. I installed all the bolts before realizing I wanted to add some extra vibration protection. In the process, I discovered that Locktite has started to make gel instead of the drippy goo that I've always used on bolts. Get some.

Also, install parts the right order so that you don't have to remove the motor set from the car in order to install the clutch because you were in such a hurry to start designing the mounts. Not that I would know anything about that.



I reused the pilot bearing as well since there had only been a few hundred miles on the 280z since the clutch install. After a few long minutes of hunting, I was able to find the pressure plate alignment pin which aids significantly when attaching the transmission to the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment