Sunday, March 18, 2012

disassy-1ooo

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to disassemble things. No matter the reason, it seems like I'm taking 2 steps backwards for every one forwards, but there is a reason, I promise.









After everything that happened while my car was away at TDC Auto, I decided to remove everything that they installed to double check all the connections and their installation. The fabrication work seemed good on the intercooler side, but based on initial inspections, I wanted to see everything.

The last installation of the engine was very rough and I wanted to touch up the engine bay and transmission tunnel from where it had attacked the car. Somewhere along the line I also discovered that not all of the transmission tunnel was undercoated with thick undercoating as the rest of the undercarriage was. It seemed to be coated with some sort of grease to seal it before paint. The grease mixture rubbed off all over my elbow one time as I was under the car wondering why it was bleeding goop all over me. I didn't know how far this extended across the underside and simply hadn't looked into it, but knew the engine and transmission had to come out to enable its painting.









 
I removed the FMIC, hot side and cold side piping, along with the maf and TB connections. I couldn't remove the TB itself for various reasons. TDC switched the bolts from allen head to hex, but a socket could not fit over the bolt head between it and the TB entrance tube. The open end of a box wrench could not fit and still be turned due to the bolts proximity to, again, the entrance tube, but also because the wrench would have to be less than 1" long to clear the side of the engine bay. TDC must have installed the TB with the plenum off the car or used a custom wrench with an highly angled head.

Either way, that's just silly.




No comments:

Post a Comment