Wednesday, April 27, 2011

240z restart

In true fashion, I'm WAY behind on stories, anecdotal references, and more importantly, pictures. One day a few months ago (December) I was sitting at work contemplating my insignificance and wondering how much of a pain it would be to strip down the 280z, build a rotisserie, have her bead blasted, grind/cut/weld and for all intensive purposes re-do all my "practice" work to make her reliable, but more importantly, pretty. It was a daunting task that I wasn't looking forward to with fears that it would never be as clean as I was looking for.

KK called me, texted me, and emailed me on at least 3 addresses after seeing a particular picture-less Craigslist ad that read as follows:

1971 Datsun 240Z - $2000 (Anderson)
Hello gearheads! I have  a RUST FREE 1971 Datsun 240Z for sale. Car DOES NOT have a motor, but it does come with coilovers, 300ZX brakes in the rear, Toyota truck brakes up front, drilled and slotted rotors, braded brake lines, new interior carpet, all new weather stripping, the entire original interior, good bumpers, the seats are in good condition, the car has all new bushings and brand new way thick sway bars!!! I’m sure I’m forgetting some parts, but one thing is for sure, you wont find a better Z body anywhere. I bought the car from San Diego, with the intention of doing a full restore on it, but no longer have any interest in the project. I was going to swap in a SR20DET hence why there is no motor. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email and I’ll be sure to get back to you quickly. Hurry this car won’t last!!!



The ad lasted less than 18 hours. Posted the night before, girlfriend-searched-and-found on a random online classified, I was looking at a Series 1 California 240z, transplanted to middle of no-where South Carolina, that turned 40 this year without an ounce of rust. It still had the title from San Diego. I almost felt bad negotiating, but really, who wants to buy a car without major driveline components in the rain after driving all the way over from the next town after a long work day anyways ... right (with drawn out pronunciation and serious sarcastic undertones). I went over that car for hours, and she was just a shell.  Every corner and surface was clean, including the 2nd garage bay full of original parts, not to mention all the performance parts which hadn't even seen a California road.

Someone cared for her, I will do the same.






<edit> To correct the above post, this is not a Series 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment